Re: Progress Report: Answers to questions Alex, Debbie, Suzi et al

Posted by Chris on 12/16/98
Hi all,
didn't expect so many replies so to cut down on the amount typing here's the info:

My Acu Dr is Dr. Kim in Doraville GA phone # is 770-455-6511. His daughter handles the office stuff, and her English is a little weak, so please be patient.

Since this was my first time, I have no idea what the normal amount of needles is, but upon my first visit he used them in my ear, ankles, back and heels. [one each respectively] Each visit has been different. He will usually ask where I feel the pain, and then mark that area. then he will have me lie down and do the "needle thing". he has also has as been combining electric, heat therapy, plus a Mox-sesame paste that burns at first, but as he says: helps to "start the flow of energy "[Chi by Asian definition, Ki by Korean]. I'm not trying to speak in New-Age terms, but that's just what it does. He has told me that some of my problem(s) stems from my lower back, and that has caused many side effects to take place. I may of thought it was just over-use or bad running shoes, but I think he is on to something by looking at the big picture.

In a nutshell acupunture gives the body a push by letting it "know" where the trouble spots are , helping it to re-direct attention so it can take care of itself. whatever it does, it works. It can't hurt to give it a try. Because of my own ignorance of the whole process, I was almost ready to give up on it after the first visit. I had decided to give it at least 5 vists. IMHO the only way to treat this obnoxious condition is to try everything within reason. I did not make my post to say that I have found a cure, rather that along with some of the other things people have suggested, acupunture has been a very effective tool to add to the arsenal.

Dr. Kim has a wonderful gentle manner, and I think you will find the same results if you do a little research. I am constantly amazed at the level of true caring in the alternative field versus the typical conventional Doctor who perform a "cash-ectomy" without ever even making eye contact.

I'm still not opposed to seeing a podiatrist, and may do that as well. I would welcome any comments/experience others may of had.

PS: you can buy the glucosomine just about anywhere that sells vitamins. but like most things you get what you pay for. I have found that it's best to rotate brands. GNC, though a bit pricey usually has pretty good quality. You can find many of the Schiff products at Wal-Mart, CVS etc. For what it's worth, I have found Nature's Way products to be the most consistent. And in a recent newsletter from Dr. Weil, Natures Way products had some of the highest content of stated product. Remember that most herbs and supplements take time to get into the body vs. regular medicine. So give it a few weeks to see if you notice any results. . It may be worth your effort to get a work up from a nutritionist or other professional.

thanks to all and best of luck

Chris

user-38lca1o.dialup.mindspring.com 03:24:15

Follow Ups To This Message:

Post A Followup To This Message:

Name:
E-Mail: (optional)
Modify the subject heading below to summarize your response.
Subject:
Comments: