Unusual Symptoms: is this planar fasciitis?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Heel Pain Message Board ]

Posted by Ric on April 10, 1998 at 13:31:19:
For a couple of years I have had severe arch pain in the middle of my arch (right in front of where the front of my shin comes down) when I walk or run. The doctors say I have pf, but they haven't done many tests, and they say there are several symptoms that seem unlikely if it is pf. When walking I usually feel the pain at the moment the ball of my foot begins to lift off the ground. When it is bad, I feel it as I roll forward onto the ball of my foot after putting the heel down, but not when my weight is directly over my arch and my foot flattens out. I don't feel it if I do toe raises (although that is what originally gave me this problem), but I feel it as the weight comes off of my foot. Also, it doesn't hurt to walk if I point my toes outward and consciously flatten my arch as I walk, which the doctor said should make the pain worse, because it stretches the pf. I suspect it is because when I walk like this my ankle doesn't bend much. I've tried lots of orthdics, but none of them seem to really get rid of the pain, although a shoe with a high arch helps. Strangely enough, I don't seem to have this at all when I wear my stiff plastic telemark ski boots which bend at the toe but not at the ankle. This may also be because the ankle doesn't bend in the boots. There also seems to be a slight bump or lump in the planar fascia where it hurts, but this is only noticable to the massage therapist. I've also noticed the arch gets very inflammed if I do exercises for the arch, such as toe curls with a towell.

Has anybody had any symptoms like these? The doctor keeps telling me he is baffled as to what is wrong, and I realize it is up to me to try to find out what it could be if it is not pf and how to treat it. I appreciate any help people might have.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Heel Pain Message Board ]